THE Hailsham Community Run has been postponed at the last minute after emergency utility works left a road on the route impassable, organisers have confirmed.
Around 1,000 runners had been due to take part in the annual event today (Sunday), with an estimated 3,000 people expected to visit Hailsham town centre to support participants and enjoy the day.
However, organisers say emergency works by UK Power Networks on Station Road have made it impossible for the event to go ahead safely.
In a statement, event management company Sports Systems Ltd said repair works had not been completed, and the road is now expected to remain closed until Tuesday.
The company said the road surface has been removed, leaving an excavation approximately five feet deep across both sides of the carriageway.
Because of other roadworks in the area, the only practical diversion route around the closure is via Hailsham High Street which forms the start and finish area of the Community Run.
Sports Systems said it had been in constant discussions with East Sussex Highways and Wealden District Council since the works began, but without the ability to close the High Street for the duration of the event, organisers had no safe way to proceed.
A spokesperson said: “Without the High Street closure, it is not possible for the event to proceed safely.
“We explored a number of alternative routes and options to make Station Road passable; however, in its current condition, there is simply too great a safety risk for 1,000 runners to pass through this section safely.”
Organiser Mary Laxton said she was devastated by the decision.
She said: “I’m gutted and very disappointed that we, through no fault of our own, have been forced to postpone our Community Run.
“Liam and his team had a long round trip, but to be on the ground to make the assessment was very important. Our runners’ welfare is always our priority.
“We appreciate everyone involved may have alternative plans, but that’s the reality when plans change.
“Since the decision was made, I’ve personally made 47 phone calls and sent emails to all our sponsors and suppliers to make them aware.”
Organisers are now hoping to reschedule the event for Sunday, May 24, subject to approval from Wealden District Council.
As council offices are now closed for the weekend, confirmation is not expected until Monday.
All registered runners have been contacted directly with information about their entries.
